Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake is a dessert that is as easy to make as it is delicious. Cherry pie filling is covered with chocolate cake mix and topped with butter, all ‘dumped’ in one pan, and baked together for a chocolate-cherry treat. Try my Cherry Dump Cake for another easy sweet treat.
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
The genius that decided to dump a bunch of dessert staples into a pan and see what happens next deserves an award. They are my hero. Dump cakes are a dream recipe for busy people. And, this chocolate cherry combination is perfect for and just as easy as, opening a box of chocolate-covered cherries!
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
With just four ingredients and five minutes of your time, you can get this dessert in the oven. In an hour, you will have an impressive family dessert to share!
Ingredients (full recipe below)
- Box of chocolate cake mix
- Cherry pie filling
- Almond extract
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
You hear me talking a lot about “your recipe is only as good as your ingredients” and most cases, that is my primary rule of thumb. This dessert is designed for ease. So, in this case, you won’t hear me say that. For this Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake recipe, you need a box of chocolate cake mix, your favorite can of cherry pie filling, some almond extract, and some cold butter.
To make the dump cake, grease a 12-inch, oven-safe skillet. You can also use a 9×9-inch baking pan or 9×13-inch pan.
- Pour the cherry pie filling and almond extract into the bottom of the pan. Mix it together, spreading it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the pie filling, making sure to get it all the way to the edges.
- Place the tabs of butter on top and bake for about an hour, or until the topping is golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling.
Can You Make a Crockpot Dump Cake?
You can and you should! It is literally the exact same recipe and instructions, except you use a crockpot instead of the skillet and an oven.
For this method, you will put the cherry pie filling in the bottom of a greased crockpot, mix in the almond extract and then top with the cake, and then butter, and then cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
Vanilla ice cream is also a perfect complement to the buttery, cakey, cherry flavors in the dump cake. You could drizzle some homemade chocolate syrup over the top for added flair (and chocolate) if you want as well!
Looking for More Easy Dessert Recipes?
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 2 cans (42 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 113g) butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 12-inch oven-safe skillet. (You could also use a 9×9-inch or 9×13-inch baking dish.)
- In the prepared skillet or baking dish, add the cherry pie filling and the almond extract. Mix together and spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the top, being careful to cover all of the pie filling.
- Slice the butter into small pads (about 16) and spread them out evenly over the top of the cake mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the topping is golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling.
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake was shared on: Cakes – i am baker
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake